BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, May 31, 2010

Holding Hands with Strangers



“But here in our beautiful Uganda we have more smiles than tears.

We have more love than hate.”


That was a statement made yesterday at a soccer game for war victims. I have never truly believed a public statement like this before. Statements about national unity are made in every country, but how often is it a resounding truth throughout the entire nation?


What kind of lesson can I learn from the people of Uganda? Every day I am asked more times than I can count how I am doing. And every single time it is a genuine inquiry. Everyone is sincerely concerned about the well being of their fellow man. Each day I am blessed by the charity of these people. I slipped on the gravel and immediately three people stopped and kept asking if I was okay. Later that same day, we were walking along the side of the road way away from the city and someone stopped and offered us a ride. That someone happens to be the youngest elected member of Parliament in Uganda’s history. Every time I meet someone, they shake my hand throughout the conversation. It's as if they are trying to connect with me on a deeper level. And, my favorite part of this culture is hand holding. Everyone holds hands everywhere they go.

It makes me feel so special when a Ugandan holds my hand because I know that it their sincere way of saying they've accepted me into their society. And, it happens more often than I would have ever thought. Don’t get me wrong, there are millions of charitable people in the United States, but this is the first time where I’ve lived in a culture that totally and completely embodies charity. It drives everything they do.


Where does such love and humility come from? Does it come from the so called poverty that they live in? Does it

come from the lack of interaction with the technological world? Or is it simply a character trait that these people inherently possess? Whatever it is, I want it. I want everyone to feel as cared about as I do when I interact with Ugandans.


So, as my friend Brittany said, I will "Stay humble. Become enlightened. Hold stranger's hands whenever they'll let you."




Picture 1: Melissa Thompson and Lois

Picture 2: Right before I busted my chin on someone's helmet. I have a pink hat on under my helmet.

Picture 3: Our raft! LtoR: Brooke Ellis, Scott Richards, Me, Oscar Moreno, Chris Gong, Rachel Finleigh, Angie Fairchild

Picture 4: Right after a big rapid. Please note the blood on my chin.


Over and Out,

Lex

0 comments: